Big weekend ahead!
Summer is an action-packed time of year, so even if you aren’t traveling this week (and July 4th isn’t your holiday…) you’re bound to find yourself in a car, a plane, or at a cookout party at some point in this sunny summer.
So here are my tips for surviving :)
(aka staying on track!)
1. Have a drink or dessert, not both.
2. Survey the buffet and all the options BEFORE plating. Choose only what you really want, rather than taking a spoonful of everything you don't dislike.
3. Bring a healthy dish (such as Big Mac Potatoes) everyone can enjoy and you can use it as your main portion.
4. Always start with a plate of veggies or a big salad first.
5. Use the smallest plate possible or eat off a napkin. If you have a big plate, you'll fill the big plate…and if you try to be good and "portion control," a little bit of food on a big plate will make you feel deprived. Feel like a king (or queen!) with an overflowing amount of food on a small plate.
6. Converse far away from the food and not while you’re eating. Try to keep your back turned to the buffet.
7. Do your best to ignore all peer pressure-y comments made by family and friends telling you to “Just live a little!” or “Treat yourself!” (I like to ask myself…is feeding myself things that aren’t good for me…is maintaining or reactivating a food addiction really how I can treat myself well?)
8. Don't peer pressure yourself either. You're not missing out. You can have anything -- you’re just choosing not to, and that’s empowering!
9. Have a plan in place. Whether it’s noting possible Subways and Wendy's along the highway, bringing your own meal, or packing healthy snacks for the car…success requires preparedness.
MOST IMPORTANTLY if you do slip up or indulge…don’t throw the baby out with the bathwater!
I'm guilty of this too -- when I "screw up" I go on and dig the hole deeper. I have to tell myself, "Stop friggin' digging Lindsay. Climb out of the hole while you still can!" Don't succumb to the ahscrewit moment.
My own personal holiday mantra: “I am not here for the food. I am not here for the food.”
You’re there for the FUN and socializing!
Don’t make food your form of entertainment or fun…let it be the fuel that allows you to have fun to the max! And soak up every second of summer!
Do you have a great tip for surviving holidays and parties when temptation is everywhere?
Please share it below.
Happy (healthy!) traveling!
P.S. Members, there’s a special “Travel” meal plan you can download from your dashboard.